What Ifs (for designers)
I notice a common question among the graphic designers I’ve observed in the last few weeks: They ask “What if we did this?” instead of taking ideas at face value.
For future reference, I want to compile a big list of “what ifs” that I can add to and come back to in the future when I feel like a design isn’t working out.
What if we…
- made the type really big?
- made the type really small?
- reversed the colors?
- didn’t align the type to the center?
- changed the weight of the typeface?
- cropped the photo differently?
- put the type on top of the graphic?
- tried a default typeface?
- outlined the type?
- repeated the type?
- repeated the image?
- added more random shit?
- took all the random shit away?
- set the type on a path instead of a straight line?
- used all one size of type?
- obscured the photo to make it more ambiguous?
- broke the grid? I mean, really broke the grid?
- put the text in weirdly shaped boxes?
- set the type vertically?
- turned a letter upside down?
- made the type wrap around?
- mixed up the typefaces?
- added icons inside the text?
- used every corner of the page?
- made it look really old?
- made it look brand new?
- made it look timeless?
- used cheesy techniques in an ironic way?
To be continued.